The state of South Dakota does not require any common kitchen employees to receive a South Dakota Food Handlers License.
Keep in mind though, some employers or restaurant managers will require food handlers to complete training regardless of South Dakota state laws.
Per South Dakota law, every food establishment must have at least one Certified Food Service Manager on staff.
South Dakota Food Service Manager Certification
According to state law, South Dakota retail food establishments MUST have at least one person on staff who has passed a food service training and certification program.
So although there is no South Dakota food handlers license requirement for common kitchen employees, it still may be in your best interest to receive and pass the test for Food Service Manager Certification.
Not only will this help you during your job application, but it will make you a safer and more well rounded employee.
The following list contains the only state certified Food Manager courses in South Dakota:
- Restaurant Division of South Dakota Retailers Association (SDRA)
- Professional Server Certification Corporation
- SuperSafeMark (1-877-399-4925)
- Above Training/State Food Safety
- AAA Food Handler Training School
- Foodsafe (1-877-723-3660)
- Cash-Wa Distributing: 1-800-652-0010, Ext: 7123
- Reinhart FoodService: 1-800-756-5256, Ext. 503202
- Training Services: 651-355-8491
- US Foods North Dakota: 701-840-7908
- Sysco: 1-866-327-4699, Ext 6307
To access a calendar of certification dates and times by county, just click here.
Other Requirements That May Be Helpful:
- Good Communication Skills
- Being able to stand long periods of time
- Knowledge of basic food safety
For more information, please contact the South Dakota Department of Health found here.